A couple weeks ago, an old friend from grade school contacted me. She said she had been following my blog and she was wondering if I did custom projects. I told her I’d never really marketed myself for that sort of thing, but I would be happy to take on my first hired project!
She said she wanted a dry erase wall calendar with her last name on it and she said her house was “earth tones”, so I wanted to make sure I matched her home décor.
I went to Hobby Lobby and found a frame. Their frames were 50% off – wooo! (Although, they almost always are). It holds an 18×24 size picture.
I wanted to do her last name on the glass first, then I could size out the calendar squares. I started by picking a font and printing it out on regular computer paper. I needed to paint everything on the inside of the glass, so when she writes on the calendar, she will not be writing on the paint. That means I was going have to do her last name backwards, so it would read the right way when you look at the front of the glass. So, I flipped the paper with the printed font over, and traced the letters on the back. I put the backwards letters under the glass and traced over them with a white paint marker.
Once I was done with the letters, it was time to grid out the calendar. My husband was a HUGE help with this step.
Our masking tape was exactly 2″ wide, and we wanted the height of each box to be 2″, so that worked out perfectly. We laid out strips of masking tape horizontally across the glass. We left 1/8″ in between each strip of tape.
We wanted the width of each box to be 3″ wide, so we then marked dots at every 3″ across the tape horizontally. We sliced 1/8″ strips on the tape vertically at each 3″ mark. We used an X-acto blade to cut the tape.
After the grid was all cut out, I spray painted it. If I were to do it over again I would not spray paint, to be honest. I think I would’ve used the paint pen again, like I did for the letters. The spray paint was a huge pain when taking off the tape. It adhered better to the tape than to the glass, so I needed to go around with the X-acto blade again and basically slice the tape off.
I added the days of the week the same way I added the last name. Traced the letters on the back of the paper so they were backwards, and then traced them on the back of the glass with my paint pen.
The last step was to add fabric for the background. I didn’t want it to be too dark, because it would be hard to see her writing when she went to use the calendar. But on the other hand, I couldn’t have the fabric be too light because of the white paint on the glass. She said her house was “earth tones” so I picked a burlap-type fabric from Jo-Ann Fabrics.
I attached my fabric to the cardboard backing that came with the frame. I laid out the cardboard on top of the fabric and measured one inch around each side and cut it out.
I used hot glue to secure the fabric on the back. I made a line of hot glue all the way across each side of the cardboard and pressed down the fabric so it held.
Then it was time to put it all together!
I added the month on the top and filled in the dates on the squares with a black dry erase marker, so when the next month comes she can just erase it and fill it in for February.
This really was a fun project – and so convenient to have on your wall for everyone to see what the plans are for the month!