DIY Faux Brick Flower Vase

DIY Faux Brick Vase

Since I’m on a home accessory kick from decorating the  built in desk of our dreams, I decided to spruce up a plain glass vase that we had laying around our house.   This project was so easy and literally took like an hour… and I love it!

IMG_9533

I started by cleaning the plain glass vase with Windex.  (Such a great action shot)

PicTapGo-Image

My husband had the idea to use Pinstripe Tape (like, for a car!) instead of cutting down masking tape into narrow strips.  Since not having to cut and measure masking tape sounded AMAZING, I went to Auto Zone.  I bought a roll of 1/8″ wide Pinstripe Tape for $2.99.  Can’t beat it!

IMG_9534

I measured out 1″ wide rows and marked them with a dry erase marker.  I stuck the pinstripe tape on the glass, lining it up with my dry erase marks.  Then I measured 3″ wide “bricks” and marked those with my dry erase marker.  Then stuck the pinstripe tape on to the glass going vertical to make my “bricks”.

PicTapGo-Image copy

This is how it looked when I was done taping.   I’m liking it already!

PicTapGo-Image copy 2

Then I spray painted the vase white.  I lined the vase with paper so I didn’t get any spray paint  on the inside.

PicTapGo-Image copy 3

I removed the tape and… ta da!   I’ve got some faux bricks on my vase.

I put in some fake flowers (of course, my brown thumb) and called it a day!  The tape took a little paint off the edges when I pulled it off, making the edges not so perfect, but I actually don’t mind it.  I think it kind of gives the vase a “weathered” look, and adds character.  Other than that, the pinstripe tape worked really well!

Flowers in vase

I think it’s a perfect addition to my home!

40 thoughts on “DIY Faux Brick Flower Vase

1. Jenna @ A Savory Feast says:

This is SO cute! It kind of reminds me of subway tile, too, which is so in right now! I have a ton of faux flowers leftover from my wedding last year, and this would be a cute way to use some of them. I’m going to pin this to make soon!

• The Cofran Home says:

Thanks so much Jenna! Yes- a perfect way to use up those faux flowers! And CONGRATS on the wedding!! 🙂 xo

2. Jayne says:

aaahhhh how cute is that and what a smart idea you had … going to do up a couple right now to give as a thank you gift, flowers will be included … thank you for sharing such a lovely idea !
    Jayne (Canada)

3. Jayne says:

…. opps sorry hit the wrong button … I forgot to mention how much I am enjoying that “action” shot too !!! heehee Enjoy the SONshine, Jayne

4. Pili says:

So cool, I love that vase!! I had no idea about Pinstripe, now I want to get some for me lol
    Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Inspiration, shared too 🙂

• The Cofran Home says:

Thank you! It was my husband’s idea to use the pinstripe tape, and it was AWESOME! I’m using it for a million different projects now! 😉

• The Cofran Home says:

Oh, thanks Gail! Yes – it was my husband’s idea to do the pinstripe tape, and a great one it was! It worked so well. Thanks for stopping by! xo

• The Cofran Home says:

Thanks, Victoria! I didn’t know what Pinstripe tape was either until my husband told me! It’s actually to use on cars to add some detailing. Now I’m obsessed – it works so well on so many DIY projects! 😉

5. Crystal Green says:

This is very pretty. I like how you styled this vase. It’s elegant and simple.

Thank you for sharing this with us on the #HomeMattersParty. We hope to see you again when we open our doors on Friday at 12AM EST.