Built-In Desk Reveal

Built-In Desk Reveal

If you’ve been following along with my posts, you know that we’ve been working hard updating our house.  If you’re just getting up to speed, we recently did a three room makeover by painting and adding wainscoting.  It REALLY made such a difference in our house and we’ve been LOVING the facelift!

What I didn’t show you, was the BIG nook in our family room that we left out of our makeover! Beware…. It’s pretty ugly.

We purposely did not add wainscoting, or paint the poor sad corner, because we knew it’s day was coming…  and I’m happy to say – that day is today!  Before I get to the good stuff, let me show you a before picture.

Before Pic of Desk

I mean…. yikes.

I spend a LOT of time at this work space, and it always felt so cluttered to me.   There was never enough storage and everything was disorganized.   We’ve been wanting a built-in desk in this section of our house since we moved in, so we finally jumped on it.

Joe and I decided the project was a little too big for us to tackle on our own, so we hired our friend who specializes in woodworking to build the desk for us.    We worked very close with him on the design of the desk, because we knew EXACTLY what we wanted.  He worked for weeks building the separate pieces of the desk at his shop, and when all the pieces were ready, he came to our house and installed it.

We cleared all of the furniture out the night before he came, so it was ready for the transformation!

FullSizeRender-2

Don’t mind the half painted walls…. #embarrassing

We didn’t bother painting it when we painted the rest of the room, since we knew this was going in soon.

FullSizeRender-2 copy

He removed the trim temporarily and installed the desk piece by piece.  See, it’s already looking better!

IMG_9166

IMG_9187

AHHHHH!!!!  I think I heard Angels singing when I came down and saw it for the first time.  I was IN LOVE and it wasn’t even painted yet!

Our neighbor is a professional painter and has a sprayer  and it is AMAZING, so we asked him to come over and spray the desk for us.

IMG_9338

Once the the desk was painted, we went to Lowe’s and picked out the hardware for the cabinets and doors.

FullSizeRender-2 copy 2

My husband installed the hardware, and it really just finished off the look.

Then the fun part…  actually using it!

FullSizeRender-2 copy 5

FullSizeRender-2 copy 4

I picked up most of the accessories at Home Goods, Target, or around my house (ha!)

Untitled design

We could not be happier with our new workspace and look forward to how productive we will be now! 😉

If you’re looking for even more Home Office Inspiration, be sure to check out Shutterfly’s “Home Office Ideas” gallery here!

50 thoughts on “Built-In Desk Reveal

1. Ruthie says:

This looks amazing! You and your husband are so talented! I would love something like this in my home! Want to come over and make one for me!? 😉

2. Catherine says:

WOW!! What a lovely area you’ve created! It will be such a pleasure for you to work there! Isn’t it amazing how much different a room feels when the transformation takes place?! Well done!
    Catherine

3. Emily says:

Your built-ins are gorgeous! I would love to have something like this in my home office! So function but also so beautiful! Thanks for linking up with our Creative Spark party; I chose your built-ins as one of my Feature picks this week. Hope you’ll stop by tomorrow and link up again 🙂

• The Cofran Home says:

Thank you so much, Emily! We had been wanting to do this for a while now, so I’m glad we finally jumped on it! I will definitely stop by again tomorrow! xo

4. liz says:

Fantastic idea for that space – it looks amazing! Painting all the rooms in gray and white was a great idea, your home is just wonderfully bright and refreshing. I am in the process of repainting also, so I am off to get a sample of SW Light French Gray.

• The Cofran Home says:

Thanks, Liz! I am in love with SW Light French Gray – it covered so well and the color is great. Good look with your house! xo

• The Cofran Home says:

Thank you, Keri! We do have a ton more storage space now! Definitely helps keep me organized (And I need all the help I can get) 😉 Have a great day! xo

5. Kate says:

The transformation is incredible and the fact that it looks so much more organized and stylish is definitely a plus!
    Kate | The Organized Dream

6. OneDizzyBee says:

This is ridiculously gorgeous and exactly what I’ve been looking for. My space isn’t as big, but even on a scaled-down level for my own space, absolutely perfect. Now I just have to find someone capable of doing it! Pinning!

7. Joan LeVasseur says:

I really love your space but I was wondering where is the light source? I noticed you had a floor lamp before but I don’t see any lamp in the after picture.

• The Cofran Home says:

Thank you, Joan! We do have overhead lighting in the room, and lamps on the end tables near our couches. We recently added a floor lamp near the desk as well (different from the one pictured) to add just a bit more light to our work space. 🙂

8. Crissy says:

My husband and I are looking for inspiration for our home office and we LOVE what you did in your room. Would you mind sharing the width and height of your new office space? Thank you for your time!

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Crissy! Thank you so much! We’ve actually moved into a new house since this project, but I want to say it was about 12′ wide? It was definitely 8′ tall because our ceilings were 8′ and it went all the way up. Pretty sure it was about 10-12′ wide – it was VERY big, but we loved it! Sooo much work space! Good luck with your office space – I’m sure it will be beautiful! xo

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Missy! Thanks for your comment! The cabinets were custom, and the desk top was just plywood. Hope that helps! 😉