How to flock your own Christmas Tree

HOW TO

This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.

We’ve had our average sized, pre-lit, Christmas tree for probably about 4 years now.  It still works, it’s still in pretty good condition, we don’t really NEED a new one.   But when I saw a beautiful flocked Christmas Tree this year, I literally could not stop thinking about it.  I wanted a flocked Christmas Tree SO bad.

I started looking around at prices.  The ones that look really good, are really expensive.  I couldn’t just toss our perfectly good Christmas Tree and spend a bunch of money on a new one.  My husband would kill me.  Ha!  So I started looking into flocking my own.

I found “Sno-Flock” on Amazon here.  I was hesitant to buy it, because I tend to not buy anything that isn’t “Prime Eligible”.  I called around to local stores to see if they sold any flocking spray or flocking powder.  I tried Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, Alsip Nursery, you name it. I called.  NOBODY had anything remotely close to what I was looking for.  So I went back to Amazon and bought the Sno-Flock.

Best. Decision. Ever.  The shipping was super fast, and the product is AMAZING.   As soon as it arrived, I got to work

You can also buy it directly from the company (Seasons Refection) here.

I set up shop in my screened-in porch.  It stays pretty warm in there with the windows on, and there’s no wind.  The garage would also work.  Here is what my tree looked like before any flocking:

Tree

I laid a tarp down under the tree so no Sno-Flock would get on the floor.  It was really not as messy as I was expecting.

First I put the Sno-Flock in a strainer and grabbed a spray bottle filled with water.  Then all I did was spray and sift while the Sno-Flock fell like snow.  It’s SO easy!

flocking1

Flocking

I used a step stool to get the top of the tree, then I just worked my way down the rest of the tree.  You can do as much or as little as you want.

I stopped when it looked like it was just a light coat of snow on the whole tree.  I made some spots thicker than others.  Once I was done, I did one more coat of water with my spray bottle over the whole tree to seal the Sno-Flock.  (I followed the instructions that came with the Sno-Flock exactly.)

flocked tree

I love how it looks!

I bought the 5 lb bag of Sno-Flock and I have about half left, so the 2 lb bag probably would’ve been fine (but now I have enough left over to flock everything in sight!).  It took about a day to completely dry.  The snow turned hard and stuck on the tree really well so it didn’t make too big of a  mess when we brought it in the house.

Then I decorated it!  I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a few white feather boas and put them in my tree to add a little more white.

IMG_4367

IMG_4366

FullSizeRender

FullSizeRender copy.jpg

So easy!  And now I have a mini winter wonderland in my living room!

20 thoughts on “How to flock your own Christmas Tree

1. Jenny says:

This is great, I’ve wanted to do that for years and like you I haven’t found any place that carries such stuff. I’m glad to know I can get it and it works!

• mcofran says:

Thanks! I know, I seriously looked everywhere. I would definitely recommend ordering the Sno-Flock from Amazon. It really is SO easy, and looks like real snow!

2. Ali says:

You said your tree was pre-lit. So is mine and I would love to do this!
    How does the flock work with the lights? Do you wipe them off? Does it not matter if they are covered by it, etc?

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Ali! Yes, the lights still were able to shine through the Sno-Flock – I had no issues at all with it! I did not wipe them off, I just left them as they were after I applied the Sno-Flock. It worked out well!

3. Donna says:

Hi! Were you worried about getting your lights wet on your tree? You mentioned your tree was ore-lit. I would live to do this but mine is a pre-lit as well. Thanks!

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Donna! Since the water is out of a spray bottle, you really do not use much water at all. I had no issues with the lights on my tree after I was done, they were able to shine through the Sno-Flock and I really loved how it looked! Hope that helps! xo

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Kelly! I just recently looked at my Christmas tree and it has not yellowed. I did this last year, so it’s only been a year – but so far so good!

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Brigitte! I did take it apart to store it. It definitely lost some flock while I was boxing it up and was a bit messy – but really not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

4. jane says:

Hi there! i bought this flock last year..but did not use it. I have the 5lb bag but NO INSTRUCTIONS!!! Can you please give me a few more details..do you spray the tree first then flock…or flock and spray…or does it matter?

Thanks!

• The Cofran Home says:

Hi Jane! First you give the tree a generous coat of water from your spray bottle, then as the son-flock is falling onto the tree, you’ll give it another coat of water simultaneously. After I was done flocking, I went back over the whole tree and gave another generous coat of water, to make sure the son flock dried hard. Hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck! xo

5. Suzanne says:

I usually just use the spray cans of snow that I find at Hobby Lobby. They sound easier, however the sno flock sounds less
    Messy in the end… Has anyone tried both?