I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Victorian Style Dollhouses. I think they’re so beautiful…. they’re just SO expensive!
I was searching online for dollhouses for my daughter, feeling bad because they were all SO much money. I definitely couldn’t justify spending several hundred dollars on a dollhouse for a 3 year old…
THEN I happened to look on Craigslist (I never do) and found an unfinished Victorian(ish) Style dollhouse! Even better… the price was $40! AMAZING! I contacted the seller and arranged a pickup.
I was SO nervous because I had never made a Craigslist purchase, and have heard numerous horror stories. But still… I had to risk it for such a glorious deal. When I got there, the lady selling it (who was beyond nice) told me she found a couple missing shingles and a couple cracks on the house, so she would give it to me for $30! Am I dreaming!? I happily put the house in my car and immediately got to work.
Isn’t it beautiful? I started by gluing pieces that were lose and cracked, and sanded the entire thing.
Here was my inpiration:
My husband and I had just recently painted our mailbox, and had some paint leftover, we also had some white trim paint from other home projects, and espresso stain for the roof. I used red acrylic paint, that I already had, for the shutters. I figured since it was such a small space, I could make acrylic work. We really didn’t need to buy anything other than the actual house for this project (Score!)
It was time to get to work. I stained the roof first, then I painted the base of the house. I left the details for last (shutters and trim).
The base of the house took 2 coats of paint. The roof took 2 coats of stain. The shutters took 2 coats of red paint. Then I was ready to start the trim.
The trim took a LONG time, but it was worth taking my time on. I loved how it turned out and more importantly, my daughter plays with it everyday! I’m hoping when my daughter gets a little older, we can tackle the interior rehab of this dollhouse together!